The Endoscopy Unit at Sunderland Royal Hospital is part of City Hospital Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust. A new state of the art unit was opened in February 2016 offering patients individual ensuite rooms from admission through to discharge.
The endoscopy unit sits within the Directorate of General Internal Medicine and provides in-patient, out-patient and out of hours endoscopy service for patients requiring the following endoscopic procedures. We currently have 4 treatment rooms offering the following procedures:
- Gastroscopy (Camera test of the gullet and stomach)
- Colonoscopy (Camera test of the large bowel or colon)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (Limited camera test of the lower large bowel or colon)
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography (E.R.C.P.)
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Bronchoscopy (Camera test into the lungs)
- Endoscopic Bronchial Ultrasound (E.B.U.S.)
We offer the following access to services:
- Open Access Diagnostic Gastroscopy
- Direct to Test Gastroscopy / Flexible Sigmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy
- Bowel Cancer Screening Programme (BCSP) Colonoscopy via Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead Screening Hub.
- Inpatient and outpatient endoscopy procedures following consultant review
- General Anaesthesia (GA) lists where deemed clinically appropriate
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Physiology Studies (both upper and lower)
- Capsule Endoscopy at South Tyneside (wireless disposable camera test of the small bowel)
The Endoscopy Unit is open Monday to Friday.
Mon: 08.00 – 18.30
Tues: 08.00 – 18.30
Wed: 08.00 – 20.30
Thurs: 08.00 – 20.30
Fri: 08.00 – 18.30