The Ophthalmology team at Sunderland Eye Infirmary (SEI) is very committed to ongoing research and development to bring about advancements in the care and treatment of patients with eye disease and as such as a dedicated Clinical Trials Unit.
The Sunderland Eye Infirmary provide both medical and surgical treatment of eye diseases, as well as optometry and visual rehabilitation and as a result we support a wide range of research including:
- studies involving medicines for diseases of the eye and optic nerve
- studies involving devices in diseases of the eye and optic nerve
- studies of childhood and inherited visual disorders
- studies which document the natural history of eye diseases
- studies to identify the risk factors and causes of eye diseases
- studies of aids to help people with visual impairment and visual rehabilitation programmes
Active studies at the moment focus on conditions such as:
- Age related macular degeneration
- Diabetic macular oedema
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal vein occlusion
- Vitreo-macular traction (VMT)
- Eye trauma
Click here for a full list of trials taking place at the moment.
The Research Team
SEI Research Lead Mr David Steel
Ophthalmology Specialty Group Lead for Local Clinical Research Network Mrs Deepali Varma
We also have a number of consultants actively leading on clinical trials
- Mr Maged Habib – Retina
- Mr Jonathan Smith – Retina
- Mr Ajay Kotagiri – Retina
- Miss Teresa Sandinha – Retina
- Mr Nick Wride – Glaucoma
- Mr Dugald Bell – Uveitis
Other staff involved in clinical research include:
- Doctors (the study investigators) who assess your eyes and give study treatments
- Research Nurses co-ordinating study activities and to support you during the study
- Optometrists to check your vision
- Photographs who take images and scans of your eyes
If you would like to find out more about current and future ophthalmic research please visit the UK Clinical Research Network Portfolio database. To find out what may be involved in participating in a research trial at Sunderland Eye Infirmary Clinical Trials Unit click here.
If you would like any further information about ophthalmic research at Sunderland Eye Infirmary please contact Steve Dodds, Lead Nurse (firstname.lastname@example.org). Tel 0191 569 9039.