The colorectal unit at Sunderland Royal Hospital provides surgery for bowel cancer, benign colorectal diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, rectal prolapse and functional bowel disorders – including obstructive defaecation/constipation/faecal incontinence and benign anorectal conditions as well as general surgical referrals for approximately 330,000 people in the Sunderland and North Easington areas.
The unit has inpatient facilities at Sunderland Royal Hospital based and outpatient services are provided at Sunderland Royal Hospital and the Galleries Health Centre, Washington.
Laparoscopic surgery is provided for wide range of colorectal conditions. Patients go through the enhanced recovery programme which leads to quicker recovery and early discharge from hospital.
Colorectal/Stoma Care Nurse Specialists
The colorectal/stoma care nurse specialists provide physical, psychological and spiritual support for both men and women who have bowel disease. They work within a specialist colorectal team. Using research-based practice and listening to patients we try to improve and move the service forward. Their role is:
- To work closely with the colo-rectal team in the provision of care to patients with colo-rectal disease including:
- Colorectal cancer/benign colorectal disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative disease
- Constipation/obstructive defaecation/faecal incontinence
- To provide advice, information and support to patients and their families from diagnosis to review.
- To act as key workers and provide continuity for patients, their families and carers throughout their treatment journey.
- To offer counselling/advice/teaching and support to any patients undergoing stoma formation, which includes community visits following discharge home.
- Ensure time, confidentiality and privacy to discuss issues such as body image and sexuality.
- To co-ordinate the input of other health care professionals.
- To provide or direct information, education, advice and support for patients, families and staff.
The specialist nurses are available to see patients and carers in the outpatient department, on the wards and in patients’ homes if required. Working hours are: 8.30 am – 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Mr Steve Holtham – 0191 565 6256 ext 42162
Mrs Dawn Youssef – 0191 565 6256 ext 41961
Denise Simpson – 0191 565 6256