This is a new post funded by Macmillan Cancer Support with counselling services delivered by Sunderland Counselling Services.
This part time post is funded for five years and will offer counselling to individuals who have been diagnosed with any form of cancer or are at any stage of treatment for cancer. Counselling enables the client to explore how their current problems are affecting then and what issues may need to be addressed.
- To improve mental health and emotional well being for adults with cancer and their carers
- To reduce mental and emotional distress experienced by clients
- To increase acceptance of illness by the client
- To increase the range of coping strategies available to the client
- To increase the level of support available to clients
- To increase the accessibility and timeliness of services
- To ensure clients receive appropriate services.
- Clients identified for counselling by Macmillan staff at the Macmillan Information and Support Centre at Sunderland Royal Hospital
- Clients referred via self referrals, clinical specialist nurses, Macmillan staff and volunteers, the Palliative Care Social Work team, GPs and other primary care staff, sonsultants and specialists, and health and social care professionals.
- Referrals are made by the Macmillan Information and Support Centre Manager/volunteers direct to Sunderland Counselling Services Admin Team at the office base. All referrals are made with client’s knowledge and explicit consent.